Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

PART III - The day CPT results were announced! – In search of my number!

Shit! It was my turn. I and Akanksha got up, moved to the dais and took our pre-decide places. Sammit had created an aura of sympathy and compassion with his sermons. Impressive. We carried out our 3-4 minute miniscule skit. Sir didn’t comment. He should have I felt. Why build up unrequired suspense. We consoled each other. Again not required. Strength remains unspoken.
Sammit wasn’t capable of harnessing his inquisitiveness. He allowed Kunal to do his bidding. Tension surrounded him. And me too. I was eager to try judging the overall report. He scored a serene 182 – 8th All India. I was further scared. Everyone was scoring aces. What if I…?
Feeling-less, uncaring & discretely aloof from worldly cares, people continued with their speeches & more popular dialogues. It was Hrishikesh now. AIR 3! Even I stopped to listen. Sammit was going berserk. Sanjana called to ask how much I had got. She withheld her marks in anticipation of mine. I ended the call. My bag was only what separated me from my Professor’s vision.
Dhawal called back saying we needed seat numbers and not registration numbers to download the results.
I asked him whether he remembered mine. Tough Chance. He said he got 178! Jaie shouted behind him that he had missed the merit list by mere two marks. Congratulations! The call ended. I was more than eager to get out of this class. But the line of people giving speeches didn’t seem to end. They seemed to like giving speeches.
I was being constantly asked my seat number. I said I needed to go home to get it. I didn’t even know my pin code. Later I was told that the pin code was unnecessary. Salomi was 2-3 seats behind me during the CPT. I messaged her to ask her her number. Stupid girl! Didn’t even reply useless! The moment the last person finished his speech, we all burst out of the class. Sir was saying something. His own speech. We were not interested. Sammit rushed to the reading room. He wanted to hug Vaidehi. He was overjoyed. He deserved it after all those long days spent studying.
I glided downstairs; towards Salomi. She was near the main gate. Luckily I spotted her instantaneously, tall that I am, tall that she is. I yelled at her, demanding a reason for her not having replied. She showed her cell to show that she was in the middle of replying. I didn’t believe her. Who cares? The other matter was more urgent. She recited her number. 1604… something. My doubt had been cleared. My number had to be 16047. I turned around in one sweep and rushed upstairs. Direct into the AV room. There were more like me in there. But they had opened the wrong site. I sped up the ritual. I first got it clarified from Shantanu whether they showed our names alongside the score. I was not interested in giving myself false hopes or borrowed grief by seeing someone else’s score. He and Gaurang said yes. Thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment